Two striking hand-crafted cottages built of beautiful tropical hardwoods, by the sea on Playa Negra in Puerto Viejo.
Designed for maximum air circulation, the units are elevated, cooled by the ocean breeze during the day and the mountain backdraft at night.
The open-floor plan is simple and practical: fully-equipped kitchen with basic appliances including a full-size refrigerator, king-size bed, large bathroom with lovely tile and glass block shower, and a 200 square-foot porch (essentially an outdoor living room) looking out across a tropical garden to the beach.
Planned as a romantic getaway, accommodations are intended for two adults who wish privacy.
Hardwood floors, open ceilings, and custom furniture are at the core of the cottages.
Awakening to both beach music and forest sounds, you will likewise find yourself surrounded by the natural beauty that is Costa Rica.
Puerto Viejo is both funky and cosmopolitan (43 nationalities at last count), with charms all its own. When you feel like venturing away from your peaceful home base, you will find a myriad of activities available within short distances of “Mother Dear”.
With its unspoiled nature, the beach at Playa Negra is reminiscent of the 1970’s: don’t be surprised if you sometimes see more wild horses than people out enjoying the salt air!
If you are still a traveler rather than a tourist, yet are now welcoming a few more creature comforts when you venture away from home, then “Mother Dear” might be just the place for you.
But wherever you decide to stay: come to Puerto Viejo!!!
Explore our website
- The Photos page has lots more photos to explore.
- The Rates and reservations page has the details on our rates as well as our deposit and cancellation policies. Or jump straight to our reservation form.
- The Questions page has information on the Puerto Viejo area, where we are located and how to get here.
- The Tours and activities page has information on the myriad of things to do in the area.
- The Packages page has Costa Rica packages put together by our tour company partner Gecko Trail Adventures which can be booked in conjunction with your stay at Mother Dear or as an add-on.
- Don't forget to check out or Comments page where you can find our guestbook or add a comment yourself if you've stayed with us.
- Did we miss answering all your questions? Please feel free to Contact us and we'll be happy to answer any other questions.